The city is spending almost $37 million this year on road work, and is updating the list every week in an effort to help motorists plan their routes. Here’s a list of new work getting underway:
- Installation of new traffic signals will be taking place on Kelly Lake Road at Copper Street beginning Aug. 7.
- Highway 17 at Municipal Road 55, Lively: The Ontario Ministry of Transportation is working on bridge and ramp restoration at the intersection of Highway 17 and Municipal Road 55 near Lively. All ramp closures are scheduled during off-peak traffic hours, between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. The cloverleaf from Municipal Road 55 to eastbound Highway 17 will close Aug. 8-9. Traffic remains at one lane in each direction on Municipal Road 55 and on Highway 17 in the vicinity of the overpass.
- Montpellier Road at Wilderness Road, Chelmsford: Construction on Montpellier Road, north of Wilderness Road, for large culvert installations, should be complete Aug. 10. Detour is via Highway 144 to Larchwood Avenue and Morgan Road for addresses greater than 4200. Montpellier and access to Wilderness Road, Lumsden Road, Vachon Street, Fire Route E, Nickel Offset Road, Morgan Road, Fire Route G and Moose Lake Road Access will be maintained for property owners and emergency vehicles.
- Old City Hall Lane, Sudbury: Old City Hall Lane will close between Young and Durham streets, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. on Aug. 10, for a Black Walk Productions film.
- Kingsmount Boulevard, Sudbury: The pedestrian bridge north of Kingsmount Boulevard is closed until further notice. As part of the city’s regular bridge inspection program, possible structural deficiencies have been identified and require further evaluation.
- Errington Avenue, Highway 144 to Main Street, Chelmsford: Construction is scheduled to begin at the end of August on Errington Avenue, between Highway 144 and Main Street. Improvements include storm sewer, spot sidewalk repair, curb replacement and asphalt resurfacing. Work will be complete in November. Final surface asphalt will be applied in June 2013.
- Cobden Road at Highway 144, Dowling area: Motorists are advised to watch for construction on Highway 144 at Cobden Road.
- Niemi Road, Municipal Road 24 to Santala Road, Lively: Construction is scheduled on Niemi Road, between Municipal Road 24 and Santala Road. Improvements include: storm sewer installation, replacement of water main, and installation of new curbs and sidewalks.
- Allan Street, Coniston: The pedestrian bridge on Allan Street in Coniston is closed until further notice for inspection of possible structural deficiencies.
- Bancroft Drive at Bellevue Avenue in Sudbury: A condominium development south of Bellevue Avenue will require lane closures in the vicinity of the Bancroft-Bellevue intersection. A contractor is working on behalf of a private developer to upgrade water and other services in the area. Traffic will be reduced to one lane on Bellevue between Ralph Street and Bancroft Drive. Glen Avenue and Ralph Street will close to through traffic. Residents will be notified of the construction schedule.
- Algonquin Road in Sudbury: Traffic will be reduced to one lane at the intersection of Old Burwash Road and Algonquin Road for the next four weeks.
- Vine and William avenues in Sudbury: A water main replacement, partial replacement of sanitary sewer main and road resurfacing will close Vine and William avenues, between Gemmell Street and Hawthorne Drive, sometime within the next two weeks. Access will be maintained for local and emergency vehicles.
- Latimer Crescent and Loach’s Road, to Hunter Street in Sudbury: Latimer Crescent is closed to through traffic until Aug. 21, between Loach's Road and Oriole Drive, for a water main replacement and sanitary sewer improvements. Access will be maintained for local traffic and emergency vehicles. Oriole Drive will be reduced to one lane at the Latimer intersection all week long.
- Lansing Avenue in Sudbury: Lansing Avenue is reduced to one lane for sanitary sewer upgrades.
- Asphalt grinding and paving: Motorists are advised to expect temporary lane closures at various locations for hot mix patching, grinding and paving on the following roads: Agnes Street, Municipal Road 84 and Dominion Drive EaStreet
- Culvert repairs: Motorists are advised to expect partial lane closures for culvert or catch basin repairs on the following roads: Ella Lake Road, Bay Street, Fen Road, Boundry Road, Bishop Road, Lasalle Extension, Municipal Road 80 and Southview Drive at Kelly Lake Road.
Other projects that are currently underway include:
- Bancroft Drive, Levesque Street to Moonlight Avenue in Sudbury: Bancroft Drive is closed to through traffic, from Levesque Street to Moonlight Avenue, for road widening and infrastructure renewal. Motorists must detour via Hines and Rheal streets. Access will be maintained on Bancroft for local traffic and emergency vehicles.
- Churchill Avenue, Falconbridge Road to Gemmell Street in Sudbury: Construction on Churchill Avenue, between Falconbridge Highway and Gemmell Street, is nearing completion. Work includes improvements to the storm sewer, curbs, gutters and sidewalks, grinding and paving, and traffic calming measures.
- Brady and Douglas streets, from Ontario Street to railway underpass: Motorists are reminded to reduce speed and exercise caution on Douglas and Brady streets, from Ontario Street to the CPR underpass. Traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction for water main lining, storm sewer improvements, asphalt, curb and sidewalk replacement. Work will continue until the fall.
- Oscar Street in Hanmer: Expect lane closures for installation of a water main and sanitary sewer on Oscar Street in Hanmer. Work is expected to be complete by late July.
- Robinson Drive, from Southview Drive to Kelly Lake Road in Sudbury: Robinson Drive is reduced to one lane between Southview and Kelly Lake Road for water and sanitary sewer main renewal. Work will continue through the fall. Surface asphalt is scheduled for the following year.
- Lavoie Street, from Mayfair Court to Montrose Avenue in Sudbury: Construction is underway on Lavoie Street. Expect lane closures between Mayfair and Montrose for a water main renewal project, and from Drummond to Montrose avenues for new surface asphalt.
- Fairbank Lake Road. (Municipal Road 4): Work is underway for the reconstruction of Fairbank Lake Road (Municipal Road 4) from Highway 17 to C. Johnson Road.
Access through the nine-kilometre construction site will be maintained at all times with minor delays at work sites and during blasting activities. By the end of the 2012 construction season, the road will be partially paved with intermittent gravel sections.
- The Ontario Ministry of Transportation advises motorists of lane closures for bridge and ramp restoration at the intersection of Highway 17 and Municipal Road 55 near Lively. Traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction on Municipal Road 55 in the vicinity of the entrance and exit ramps to Highway 17. Maximum speed is reduced to 70 km/h.
- Highway 17 at Municipal Road 55, Lively: The Ontario Ministry of Transportation advises motorists of lane closures for road and overpass rehabilitation on Highway 17 West, near the Municipal Road 55 intersection. Traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction, approximately two kilometres on either side of the bridge. Maximum speed is reduced to 80 km/h.
Citizens who have questions or concerns related to municipal infrastructure are asked to call 311 for information.