A total of 13 firefighters from three stations responded to the call at 6:57 p.m. at 353 Lasalle Blvd. Fire damage was moderate, while smoke damage was listed as moderate to severe. Fire officials have narrowed down the start of the fire to the apartment's kitchen.
Public Safety Officer Leo Frappier said cooking is the No. 1 cause of home fires. Fire officials urge residents not to leave their cooking unattended. If a pot catches fire, slide a proper-fitting lid over the pot and turn off the stove.