HomeSudbury News

Blue-green algal bloom reported in Ella Lake

By: Darren MacDonald - Sudbury Northern Life

 | Feb 25, 2013 - 2:04 PM |

Residents along the lake have been notified, health unit says

The toxic blue-green algae has entered another area lake, the Sudbury and District Health Unit reports.

Samples taken Feb. 15 from Ella Lake, southeast of Nairn Centre in Greater Sudbury, tested positive for blue-green algae, a cyanobacterium. The samples can produce toxins. Area residents were notified Feb. 22, with written notices delivered to Ella Lake residences with road access.

“Blue-green algal blooms could also appear in other parts of the lake,” a press release from the health unit says. “Because blooms are not anchored, they can move from one location to another through wind action. New blooms can also form. All residents on the lake should look for blooms in their area.”

Blue-green algal blooms have an unsightly pea soup appearance and foul smell, and can produce toxins. Residents should avoid using or drinking water from areas where blooms are visible.

The highest concentrations of toxins are usually found in blooms and scum on the shoreline. These dense accumulations pose the greatest potential risks to people and pets. The algae toxins can irritate a person’s skin and, if ingested, cause diarrhea and vomiting.

If a person ingests high levels of toxin, they could suffer liver and nervous system damage.

The health unit advises people using lakes and rivers to be on the lookout for algal blooms. If you see a bloom near your property or water intake line:

-Avoid using the water for drinking, bathing, or showering, and do not allow children, pets, or livestock to drink or swim in the bloom.

-Be aware that shallow drinking water intake pipes can pump in blue-green algae.

-Do not boil the water or treat it with a disinfectant, like bleach, because it breaks open the algae cells, which releases more toxins into the water.

-Avoid cooking with the water because food may absorb toxins from the water during cooking.

-Exercise caution with respect to eating fish caught in water where blue-green algal blooms occur. Residents should not eat the liver, kidneys, and other organs of fish caught in the water.

-Do not rely on water jug filtration systems as they may not protect against the toxins.

“On lakes and rivers where blue-green algal blooms are confirmed, people who use the surface water for their private drinking water supply may wish to consider an alternate, protected source of water,” the release said.

For more information, call the health unit at 705-522-9200, ext. 398, or visit www.sdhu.com.
Darren MacDonald

Darren MacDonald

Staff Writer

@Darrenmacd

Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by using the "report abuse" link found in the comments section of this web site. Comment Guidelines


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular

Local Business Directory