Rick Bertrand said he's due to meet with Labour Minister Yasir Naqvi on Sept. 5 to go over details of a mining review proposal the province sent to him last month.
The union president and a community committee have been pushing for a full inquiry into mining safety in the province. However, at this point, it looks like the province is leaning towards a less-extensive review of the industry.
Bertrand told Northern Life last month Naqvi thinks the Steelworkers and province are “very close” in terms of what they want out of a mining probe, no matter what it's called.
However, he was going to wait and see what was in the proposal before making up his mind. When asked about the subject again Sept. 2, Bertrand said he's not allowed to talk about details of the mining review proposal until later this week.
“Right now we're going to keep it confidential,” he said. “I'm just looking forward to meeting with them again and having that discussion ... I'm thinking after this meeting there probably would be an announcement very shortly.”
Bertrand has met several times with the province on the topic in recent weeks. He met with Naqvi on Aug. 15 to discuss the mining probe.
Then he met with Premier Kathleen Wynne on Aug. 30 during her visit to Sudbury.
He was accompanied during this visit with Briana and Wendy Fram, the mother and sister, respectively, of Jordan Fram, one of two workers who died in Stobie Mine in June of 2011.
Bertrand said it was “really good” to receive a phone call and learn Wynne wanted to meet with them. Last spring, the union requested a meeting with the premier, but was turned down two months later.
“It was a time where we were able to explain to her how we got there and why we need this inquiry,” he said.
“It's been 30 years, and after the fatalities we had here in Sudbury, we're just telling her the importance of why we should have an inquiry to make the changes that are needed underground.”