HomeSudbury News

Popular downtown restaurant damaged in overnight fire

By: Arron Pickard - Sudbury Northern Life

 | Mar 20, 2014 - 11:21 AM |
Respect Is Burning suffered severe smoke damage and moderate fire damage from a suspected electrical fire, said Greater Sudbury Fire Services. Photo by Jonathan Migneault.

Respect Is Burning suffered severe smoke damage and moderate fire damage from a suspected electrical fire, said Greater Sudbury Fire Services. Photo by Jonathan Migneault.

Fire caused $500,000 worth of damage at Respect Is Burning on Durham Street on March 20, said Greater Sudbury Fire Service this morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 2:17 a.m. Fire damage is listed as moderate, while smoke damage is listed as severe.

Because of renovations taking place at the location, there wasn't much in there at the time of the fire, said Mitch Theriault, senior public safety officer with Greater Sudbury Fire Service.

“When firefighters arrived, the building was filled with smoke,” Theriault said. “The suspected cause is an electrical fire. The fire kind of just smouldered and created a lot of smoke.”

In its fire safety message, the fire department advises residents to use caution when operating space heaters, and to ensure there is enough distance between it and anything that can burn. Check cords for damage such as fraying or nicks. Extension cords should only be used as a temporary connection.

About 10 minutes after firefighters responded to that call, a fire broke out at a home on Notre Dame Avenue.

One person was evacuated and taken to Health Sciences North for treatment of undisclosed injuries. Damage is estimated at $80,000.

Theriault said the cause was traced back to a cooking fire. The Ontario Fire Marshal is investigating.

“The fire was mostly in the kitchen area,” he said.

Cooking is the No. 1 cause of home fires. Don't leave your cooking unattended, advises the fire department.

“Always stay in the kitchen while you're cooking, especially if using oil or high temperatures,” the fire department said in a news release. “If a pot catches fire, slide a proper-fitting lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Do not move the pot. Let it completely cool off.”
Arron Pickard

Arron Pickard

Staff Writer

@ArronPickard

Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by using the "report abuse" link found in the comments section of this web site. Comment Guidelines


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular

Local Business Directory