HomeSudbury News

First Nickel names men killed at Lockerby Mine

By: Sudbury Northern Life Staff

 | May 06, 2014 - 4:08 PM |

The two workers from Taurus Drilling Services killed in an accident today have been identified as Marc Methe, 34, and Norm Bissaillon, 49.

First Nickel Inc. President and CEO Thomas Boehlert released their names at a 4 p.m. press conference today at the gates of Lockerby Mine, where both men were killed by at fall of ground.

A First Nickel representative said the fall of ground happened between 3-3:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Anne-Marie MacInnis, president of Mine Mill Local 598, said the union will participate in a joint investigation with First Nickel and the Ministry of Labour.


Here is the official statement from First Nickel:

"We regret to report than an accident has occurred in the underground operations at the Lockerby Mine here in Sudbury that has claimed the lives of two drillers, both working for Taurus Drilling Services. Taurus has been active with our company for several years.

These two men were Marc Methe and Norm Bissaillon, age 34 and 49 respectively. Norm was a dedicated and experienced underground miner with over 20 years of experience — a good man and a family man who loved to talk about his children of who he was so proud. Marc had been with Taurus for about four years and was committed and enthusiastic about the trade. He was always positive and meticulous about everything he did. These individuals will be sorely missed by all of us at First Nickel and Taurus.
 




The event, a fall of material, was preceded by seismic activity which is believed to have been a factor in the accident. Rescue team were immediately dispatched and worked tirelessly to reach the men. All underground activities, except emergency requirements, were immediately suspended and authorities were notified.

The coroner arrived on site and pronounced both men deceased.

Senior operations management are working with government authorities to thoroughly investigate the accident.

The company is also working closely with Taurus Drilling to ensure that the miners' families receive counselling support. Counselling has also been and will continue to be provided for all employees and workers on site.

We are profoundly saddened by this tragic accident that resulted in the deaths of two men and we extend our deepest condolences to their families, friends and colleagues. Safety is the top priority for the company, and we take it very seriously. We are committed to a full and thorough investigation."

Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by using the "report abuse" link found in the comments section of this web site. Comment Guidelines


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular

Local Business Directory