HomeNational

Guilty verdicts in Stanley Cup riot beating

By: The Canadian Press

 | Apr 14, 2014 - 1:52 PM |
VANCOUVER - Three young men have been convicted of beating a so-called Good Samaritan during Vancouver's Stanley Cup riot, while another man has been acquitted.

Robert MacKay was assaulted on June 15, 2011, outside the Bay department store as a riot spread through the city's downtown after the Canucks lost in Game 7 of the playoffs.

Ioannis Kangles, Michael MacDonald, Carlos Barahona and David Leonati were charged with assault and for participating in a riot.

They pleaded not guilty and were put on trial earlier this year, when they denied they assaulted MacKay or joined in on the chaos that night.

Provincial court Judge Greg Rideout says photo and video evidence clearly shows MacDonald, Barahona and Leonati assaulted MacKay and participated in a riot.

However, Rideout says there is reasonable doubt when it comes to Kangles' actions, and he's been acquitted of all charges.

Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by using the "report abuse" link found in the comments section of this web site. Comment Guidelines


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular

Local Business Directory