HomeNational

Ontario premier seeks $2 million in libel suit

By: The Canadian Press

 | Apr 15, 2014 - 4:51 PM |
Lisa MacLeod, Progressive Conservative MPP for Nepean-Carleton, speaks to reporters at Queen's Park in Toronto on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is suing MacLeod and Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak for $2 million over comments about the cancelled gas plants. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese

Lisa MacLeod, Progressive Conservative MPP for Nepean-Carleton, speaks to reporters at Queen's Park in Toronto on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is suing MacLeod and Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak for $2 million over comments about the cancelled gas plants. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese

TORONTO - Ontario's premier is pressing ahead with a libel suit against the province's Opposition leader, seeking $2 million in damages.

The lawsuit stems from Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak's comments late last month suggesting that Kathleen Wynne "possibly ordered" the alleged destruction of government documents.

A spokeswoman for Wynne says a statement of claim was delivered today to Hudak, Progressive Conservative MP Lisa MacLeod and the PC Ontario Fund.

Wynne had said earlier that she would withdraw her suit if Hudak apologized and retracted his claim, but that didn't happen.

The premier's office says the suit will not be pursued further if the Progressive Conservatives apologize and retract their comments.

It also says that any damages received through the suit will be given to charity but any expenses incurred will be covered by Wynne's Liberal party.

The Progressive Conservatives have confirmed they've received the statement of claim.

Provincial police say they are considering possible breach of trust charges against a former senior Liberal staffer who allegedly gave an outside tech expert access to computers in the premiers' office.

It is part of a police investigation into the deletion of government emails related to the Liberals' decision to cancel two gas plants, which could cost up to $1.1 billion.

Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by using the "report abuse" link found in the comments section of this web site. Comment Guidelines


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular

Local Business Directory