HomeNational

Father of alleged victim opposes publication ban in high-profile child porn case

By: The Canadian Press

 | May 01, 2014 - 2:23 PM |
HALIFAX - The father of the alleged victim in a prominent child pornography case that made national headlines says he opposes a publication ban on his daughter's identity.

A provincial court judge in Halifax cited a mandatory publication ban Wednesday that prohibits the identification of the victim in child pornography cases.

The father of the girl whose identity is subject to the ban says in an interview he plans to oppose the ban before the courts if it isn't lifted.

The man says he is puzzled by the ban because his daughter's name has been widely published across the country since her death last year, and he says the publicity has assisted in bringing about reforms.

Judge Jamie Campbell cited the ban under Section 486 of the Criminal Code, which prevents the naming of alleged victims in some cases, after a Crown lawyer noted it.

John Piccolo, a spokesman for the Nova Scotia courts, says Campbell will "address the publication ban" in court on May 16.

Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by using the "report abuse" link found in the comments section of this web site. Comment Guidelines


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular

Local Business Directory