HomeNational

No condos on Ontario Place site: Wynne

By: The Canadian Press

 | May 19, 2014 - 12:56 PM |
TORONTO - Premier Kathleen Wynne says if the Liberals win the June 12 election no condos would be built on the Ontario Place site on Toronto's lakeshore.

Wynne says the waterfront land should be open to everyone and the Liberals would instead create an "urban park" in time for the 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games.

The Liberal leader also says the government would partner with the private sector to establish a year-round music venue.

The site of the Toronto amusement park was closed in 2012 due to declining attendance and to help trim a $15-billion deficit, with the province saying it couldn't afford to keep the park open.

The government has previously said the park was costing the Ontario government about $20 million a year and attendance had dropped from 2.5 million when it opened in 1971 to about 300,000 a year.

Other Liberal plans for the property include a waterfront trail, stores and restaurants and re-purposing the large sphere that used to show IMAX movies.

Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by using the "report abuse" link found in the comments section of this web site. Comment Guidelines


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular

Local Business Directory