HomeNational

Sentencing hearing resumes in Mexico kidnapping

By: The Canadian Press

 | Aug 22, 2014 - 1:35 PM |
WINNIPEG - A judge has reserved his decision to Sept. 11 in the sentencing of a Winnipeg man who kidnapped his children and hid them in Mexico for four years.

Kevin Maryk pleaded guilty earlier this year to two counts of abduction and his lawyer is asking for a sentence of time served.

The defence says Maryk was trying to protect his children from a mother who was using drugs.

Maryk's lawyer also says his client deserves greater sentencing credit for being detained in a Mexican jail after he was caught in 2012.

The Crown, seeking a five-year sentence, says there was no basis for Maryk to believe the kids were in danger with their mother.

Court was told the children were kept out of school and had not seen a dentist or doctor during their four years in Mexico.
 

Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by using the "report abuse" link found in the comments section of this web site. Comment Guidelines


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular

Local Business Directory