Areas with higher numbers of incidents include New Sudbury, the Donovan, the West end and Onaping.
Police remind residents that theft from vehicles is a crime of opportunity and is preventable. By following a few simple rules, the likelihood of being a victim can be eliminated.
To help prevent your vehicle from being a target, follow these tips:
- Remove valuables from your vehicle. Never leave any items in plain view as this provides an easy target and attracts attention. If they can see it, they can steal it.
- Park in well lit open areas when you are out. When at home, park in your garage and lock both your vehicle and garage.
- Remove portable accessories such as stereo face plates and GPSs. It’s important to remember that GPSs are usually programmed with your home address. Opt for a garage door opener that fits on your key ring instead of a model that clips on your visor.
- Install an alarm. Alarms not only deter theft from your vehicle but theft of your vehicle, as well.
- Use a locking device on your steering wheel. Not only does this prevent your vehicle from being stolen, it also tells thieves that a responsible person owns the vehicle and the likelihood of anything of value left in it is low.
For more information on vehicle theft, visit www.gspscp.ca
Posted by Arron Pickard