HomePolice and Court

Spruce residents displaced as police control 'suspicious device'

By: Heidi Ulrichsen - Sudbury Northern Life

 | Jun 20, 2014 - 12:01 AM |
 A Greater Sudbury Police vehicle blocks off a portion of Spruce Street at around 11 p.m. June 19. Photo by Heidi Ulrichsen.

A Greater Sudbury Police vehicle blocks off a portion of Spruce Street at around 11 p.m. June 19. Photo by Heidi Ulrichsen.

Update: June 20 at 7:30 a.m.

Spruce Street is now open to traffic.

Original story: 


Spruce Street resident Steve Josey was watching television in his home around the dinner hour June 19, when his street was suddenly filled with police cars.

Police told him he'd have to leave his home for about six hours. He showed up again at around 11 p.m. to see if he could go back home, but the area was still marked off with police tape.

Greater Sudbury Police say a portion of Spruce Street was closed just after 6 p.m. and several homes evacuated after police located a “suspicious device” while conducting a search warrant in the area.

Drivers are asked to take alternate routes until further notice.


When contacted by Northern Life at around 11:30 p.m., Staff Sgt. Rick Waugh said he wasn't sure how much longer the affected residents would be out of their homes, but guessed it might be some time.

Waugh was unwilling to say what the suspicious device was, or whether or not a bomb squad had been called in.

However, other local media are reporting Greater Sudbury Police and OPP bomb squads are working to control and identify a suspicious device in a building on the street.

“It's important enough that we've displaced people,” Waugh said.

“At the end of the day, even if this proves to be nothing, then at least we've taken the proper, necessary steps to make sure nobody gets hurt.

“If it proves to be something, then we'll even be happier that we took the proper steps to ensure nobody gets hurt.”

Josey said he'd actually noticed an unmarked police car near his driveway at around 2 or 3 p.m., and it stayed there for several hours. He said he thinks the home containing the suspicious device is across the road from his.

If there was a raid, it was a quiet one, he said. “We never heard any sirens,” Josey said.

Like what you're reading? Click here to make us your homepage today!
Heidi Ulrichsen

Heidi Ulrichsen

Staff Writer


Reader's Feedback

NorthernLife.ca may contain content submitted by readers, usually in the form of article comments. All reader comments and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of NorthernLife.ca. The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that NorthernLife.ca has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to NorthernLife.ca to report any objectionable content by clicking the "X" on the top right of the comment in question. Comment Guidelines

Local Business Directory